Tips for visiting Cuba:
I read a whole lot about Americans in Cuba before I left,
and that helped lessen some of my anxiety. Which was really high.
- You’re required to keep your itinerary for 7 years, and could be audited by OFAC at any time.
- I went with a cruise and they provided the paperwork for the Visa Application and added the processing fee to my ship account.
- The Visa application/entry process was super easy. The Cuban officials obviously do it a lot and they have it down. This goes for the money exchange process as well.
- Speaking of money exchange, technically foreign currency isn’t accepted. So you should be prepared to exchange the total amount of money you’ll need. Also, US credit cards will not work anywhere in Cuba. Don’t plan on getting a little cash and then charging stuff.
- Currency exchange has a conversion fee of 3% except for US dollars which is 13%. My advice is if you have a bank that allows you to convert currency for free (like Wells Fargo) go change your US $ into either Canadian $ or Euros before your trip. Then when in Cuba, exchange the CAN or EUR for CUCs.
- You cannot get CUCs (Cuba’s tourist currency) outside of Cuba. But the exchange windows in the travel center are easy and fast, but you might have to ask for specific denominations. The first day I didn’t get any small bills and ended up buying a little souvenir just to get some change.
- I was nervous about the whole trip and didn’t venture out alone at all. However, I think if I were to go back (after having gotten my feet wet, and explored with a group) I’d feel comfortable exploring a little on my own after the official tours.