We took a ferry from North Sydney (Cape Breton Island) to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland. It’s 96 nautical miles and typically around a 7 hour trip (depending on the sea conditions). Cort and I agreed that we didn’t need a cabin, but did want upgraded seats and I was really impressed by how luxe the ferry was. Seven hours is a LONG time, but the seats were comfortable and we both got some reading, sleeping, staring out the window done.
I’d convinced Cort that she should read Fourth Wing and that I’d read along so we could discuss. It’s a really engrossing book, so we spent a lot of down time reading and just hanging out along the way. (see also: I was sick and thankful she wanted to read and not go, go, go.)
Once we finally landed in Port aux Basques we had a little more than 2 hour drive to our motel in Corner Brook. About 45 minutes outside PaB there was a random gas station, off the side of the road. We stopped, filled the gas tank, and I bought the only cold medicine they had…Children’s Tylenol – green apple flavor. That tiny bottle saved my life.
We stayed at River’s End Motel – it was quite literally the only place with rooms when I was booking. I was 100% convinced that this would be the most questionable place we stayed, but very much exceeded expectations and I would recommend for anyone visiting.
The next morning we stopped at Walmart to buy more appropriate cold supplies and then headed out to Gander. While Newfoundland was on the itinerary to cross Gros Morne National Park of the list, the real highlight was Gander.
Cort and I have both seen Come From Away (her in person at the Hale Center, me the pro-shot on Apple TV and the idea of seeing it IN GANDER. Come on, of course we were gonna do that. We stayed at the cutest (no really, the cutest) Come From Away themed Airbnb in Lewisporte. It was right on the water and so very adorable.
Once we got our luggage inside, we talked about maybe heading up to Twillingate – someone had recommended it to her, but we decided it was a) longer than we wanted to drive, b) she would rather read, c) I really didn’t feel great and was willing to go, but would really rather a quiet afternoon just staring at the water.
So, we settled in. Less than 30 minutes later a massive rainstorm blew in. We were both really, very happy that we weren’t trying to drive out to the wilds of Newfoundland in that weather.
The next morning, we had tickets to the show. We’d talked a little about some stuff to do in Gander, but hadn’t firmed anything up besides go to the theater, get some lunch. So with nothing planned we headed out, saw the most amazing production of Come From Away, in a tiny little home-town theater, and cried our eyes out (I did, at least). The theater was lined with “memory squares”; homemade crocheted squares that people made based on their memories of that experience.
Before the show, they had one of the folks who had been there and helped during 9/11 share their personal recollections. It was amazing. We also had 2 members of the Broadway cast (who had also been in the pro-shot) in the local cast. It was just a really awesome experience.
After the show, with the locations fresh in our mind, and the town being as small as it is, we curated our own CFA themed tour. We drove to the airport, the Tim Hortons, the Shoppers, Rogers TV, and of course, Gander Academy.
Then back to our Airbnb for more reading, relaxing, and staring at the water. (Also, a failed fire pit situation.)
The next day, we headed back to Corner Brook for the Gros Morne part of the trip. Which included buying some souvenir Screech! and eating at this adorable pizza place.
