Thursday, February 22, 2007

Acapulco

We docked in Acapulco around 11:30 a.m.; late enough that everyone was out on deck as we pulled up to the pier. We waited around a while before debarking as to avoid the crowds. Once off, Ana (the only one in the group who speaks Spanish) negotiated a couple of taxis, and off we headed for a city tour.

We started out at the cliff divers:
Cliff Divers Praying and Preparing Acapulco

Dive C

Then proceeded to an old hotel where lots of movie stars used to stay,
Old Hotel in Acapulco

Gourmet Cafe Plant

Did some shopping in a little market place,
Street Market Acapulco

and headed off across the bay to Senor Frog's.
Senor Frog's
If ever you're there, I recommend the nachos...ummm, yummy!

After "the frog" we headed over to the Fairmont Princess Hotel, and HOLY COW is it spectacular...especially at sunset.
Flamingos in Acapulco

Sunset at Fairmont Princess Acapulco

Sunset Acapulco

While I enjoyed our day at Acapulco and the Bay is on "The List"
Acapulco Bay from Senor Frog's

it mostly struck me as just another big, hot, overcrowded city, with terrible traffic it took forever to get back over the to ship side of the bay. The Bay is rightfully on the list, but I don't think I'd go on a longer vacation there.

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...