Monday, June 18, 2012

Gators and Friends

When T3 drove through Louisiana on their way to Texas back in March KiLee had texted that I should consider stopping at Gators and Friends on my way through.

Nate had really wanted to stop, but given their hurried pace, the challenges with a certain 2 year old, and the fact that it wasn't open for summer hours yet they didn't.

Initially, I hadn't planned to stop here either.  It was about 2 hours out of my way (had I been coming directly from New Orleans) and wasn't prepared to end with a 9 hour drive.

Since we ditched New Orleans and mad it Baton Rouge on Saturday Gators and Friends was back on the schedule.

101_3985
Medium sized alligator pit.

101_3987

The have a baby zebra, born in February:
101_3990

And a baby camel:
101_3995

A bunch of goats:
101_3996
You can buy cups of animal feed, and these goats are definitely trained.  Whenever someone approaches they jump up and stick their necks out the fence - even if you have no food.

101_3998
Tiniest goat.

101_4000
Please, sir, could I have some more

The capybara:
101_4002

101_4003

And about a bazillion mule deer:
101_4004
I secretly suspect that the goats and deer may contribute to the care and feeding of the gators.

101_4008
This gator is so big that he can't haul himself out of the water - hasn't been able to for over a year.

We saw the Big Alligator Feeding:
101_4011

101_4013

101_4014

101_4016
This is their second biggest gator.  He can barely haul himself out of the water; it was actually sort of hilarious.

101_4021
Phew!  That was hard work!

And then, the whole reason for the visit ...

I HELD A BABY ALLIGATOR!
101_4023

101_4022
The belly of a baby gator is surprisingly soft.  I can see why people have them made into boots.

Cort told me that the alligator had peed once already, so when I felt something weird against my leg ...
101_4024
Turns out, it was only the claws on its hind foot.

Nate is totally jealous!

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...