Friday, November 08, 2013

Bits of Barcelona - Las Ramblas

100_1644

100_1645
Nothing says "Icon of Barcelona" like a McDonalds!

100_1646

100_1647

100_1649

100_1650
I did not go inside to verify the missing donuts, but I assume they are not served here.

100_1651

100_1652

La Boqueria Mercada
The market was initially a travelling market, but as Las Ramblas became an important pedestrian lane, it settled in the best location to attract large numbers of tourists, passers-by, and locals.  It is nuts in there!
100_1656

100_1657

100_1658

100_1660

100_1661

100_1662

100_1664

100_1665
I don't even know what these are!

100_1666
Blackberry coconut smoothie...delicious!

100_1667

100_1670

100_1672
Still twitching.

100_1673

100_1675

100_1676

100_1677

100_1679
A cute cartoon snail to tell you exactly what is in that bag.

Back on La Rambla...
100_1681

100_1684

Placa de Cataluyna
100_1685

100_1686

100_1687
Why does this statue have a red nose?
100_1688

100_1690

100_1691

100_1693

Canaletes Fountain
In 1888, the Barcelona city council agreed to build water fountains around the city for the World Fair.  This fountain is a reference point, a meeting place, a drinking fountain (it even has a little side fountain for dogs) and it is said that if you drink from it's waters you will fall even more in love with Barcelona and no matter how far you travel you will always return.
100_1694

100_1695

100_1696

I stopped and ate lunch at a little pizzaria on La Rambla.  I ordered the barbeque chicken, and true to the description the chicken was barbequed, but the sauce was still marinara. Weird, but delicious.
100_1697

eta:  I forgot to mention that the menu at this place was full of rockets.  Rockets listed as ingredients or toppings for pizza.  I could not figure out what the rockets actually were.  Nowhere did it include information other than "rockets".  I even asked a few native Spanish speakers what it was and when they didn't know I chalked it up to another translation fail.  Turns out:  (salad) rocket = arugula.  Go forth with that knowledge and order all the rockets you care to eat!

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...