Yeah, so I’m a little late in getting year in review done,
but you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit. Kita has told me that several times.
January/February
I was living through my first Philadelphia winter, and I was
amazed by how different it is back east.
First of all, we had basically no snow until the day after Christmas and
then we had a small storm about once a week all through January. Now during this time we did have at least one
whopper of a storm that dropped a couple of feet, but mostly they were little 1
– 3 inch storms. No big deal,
right? Wrong!
In Philly any snowflake is cause for the “end of the world”
mentality to grip the population. Cars
lining up into the streets at gas stations, grocery stores shelves stripped
bare, and the weirdest part (to a girl who never had a single snow day in her
life) everything shuts down. For every,
single snow flake work would either be started late, let off early, or closed
completely.
The other east coast winter weather phenomenon I was
unprepared for is the ice storm. This
happened twice over the course of the season and the first time I walked
outside and was instantly hit with, “This is the craziest shit I’ve ever seen!” Every single thing was encased in a thin
layer of ice. Every branch, every leaf,
the ENTIRE car. Once the ice cracked on
the car it would come crashing down in big sheets. I was really grateful for the snow day when
we had ice. It would be like driving on
the ice at the E (or whatever it’s called these days) Center.
But by February, no more snow fell. None.
Nada. Zip. We did have giant
mountains of snow (like 10 feet tall) lining all the roads because the streets
here are just too narrow and lacking in proper shoulders for it to go anywhere
but up. This was all accompanied by
significant whining by the natives about what a terrible winter we were
having. Ha!
March
In March I was able to cross another item of MY LIST (aka
The List). I attended the Philadelphia
Flower Show. The theme was Paris and it was incredible. It’s going on right now and the theme this
year is Hawaii. I almost went, but my
friends and co-workers are all saying it isn’t very good this year so I’m
passing. Last year however, there was a
mock Eiffel Tower, carousel animals made of topiary, and so many different flowers.