Wednesday, September 26, 2012

5 in 5

In the last five years I've lived in five apartments - this is the latest, located in College Station, Texas.

First off, this is almost everything that was packed in my trunk and backseat on the drive from PA to TX:
101_5405

These pictures don't even take into account the fact that Cortney was riding shotgun and had a GIANT suitcase in the backseat.  It also doesn't show the 2 camp chairs and the blanket that got cut at the Kentucky Derby.  There are also a couple of bags and the air mattress/bag in the closet.

101_5406

The secret is lots of small boxes of different shapes and sizes so you have options when you are loading.  Even still, I threw away a few boxes before picking Cort up at the airport.  I was definitely worried that she and her (giant) bag wouldn't fit.
101_5407

The rental market in College Station is crazy.  Everything here revolves around TAMU and Blinn.  That means that there is basically no "on demand" rental market.  Everything is pre-leased around the school year and landlords take advantage of the college student mentality.  Every rental I saw was based either around grad students living alone or undergrads packing 3 or more roommates into a house.  It also means that a lot of the pre-move in cleaning is substandard to what a "regular" renter would expect.  That said, after several months of looking, I did finally find a suitable apartment.  Unfortunately it was inhabited be stinky Asians before me.  So stinky, in fact, that the landlord volunteered to repaint and carpet (virtually unheard of in CS rentals) and the smell still lingers.  Don't worry I bought air fresheners.

Ironically, my apartment is in the same complex that my aunt and uncle lived in fifteen years ago.  Fifteen years ago when I first moved away from home and to College Station.  See, even then I had the itch to get the heck out of Utah.  That time around it didn't work out to well, and part of me thinks I've ended up back here to try and exorcise some of those demons.  I remain unconvinced that College Station will be a long term home for me (it really is just a small town - and I'm more of a city girl), but it'll do for now.

From the front door:
101_5408

101_5409

101_5411

101_5412
Living and dining rooms

101_5417
KiLee photo-bombing before photo-bombing was a thing.  I really love this photo, though.

101_5418
The picture in the blue frame is my favorite picture of the nubbins, ever!

101_5421
Side table (with zebra striped scissors)

101_5422
The box is from an ex, the pitcher belonged to my Grandma, and the turtle is from a roommate.

101_5426
Kane gave me this pig for Christmas.  I love it!

101_5428
Chicken-pecker toy that I bought from a Russian festival.  Also purchased at the Russian festival?  Kvas, which KiLee made the whole family try ...  ICK!

101_5438
The plastic box in the middle contains roses from my Grandparents' graves.  I am happily surprised that they've managed to survive all my many moves in tact.

101_5439
The shell box my parents gave me after a cruise, the stacking doll I bought in Sitka (or somewhere in Alaska), and the thimble I've had for ages ... a coworker gave it to me after a trip to DC.

101_5440
The living room from the dining room.

101_5442
The kitchen/laundry room.   The white garbage cans are where my aunt used to keep those giant tubs of laundry detergent and it was the time-out place for her youngest son.  It was also where the threat of being grounded with chores was issued.

101_5443
Laundry nook

101_5444
Little hall between kitchen/laundry and hallway with 1st bedroom door.

101_5445
Hallway - just past the double door (closet) is where the other little kitchen hallway is.

101_5446
First bedroom on right

101_5447
Guest bathroom - it still  needs to be cleaned (see reference to subpar cleaning done by landlord).  I'm not that big on guests so I haven't really worried about it so far.  By the way, if you come to visit there is no place for you to sit.  I believe this photo tour will bear that out.

101_5448
Top of the hallway: second bedroom on right, master straight ahead, and weird nook to the left.

101_5450
Second bedroom - I decided to buy a real bed after sleeping on the air mattress for one night.  It turned out to be a good thing because my trusty air mattress had sprung a leak, obviously.

101_5449
Weird nook

101_5451
Master bedroom

101_5453
The closet is actually a good sized walk-in, although none of the doorways in the this place would be ADA compliant. They are all pretty narrow.

101_5454
Master bathroom

I made a lot of cuts before moving from Utah to Pennsylvania and even more when leaving Pennsylvania to Texas (some of them hard and some of them not-so-much), and looking around I've identified even more cuts that will be made next time I move.

I have to also say a huge THANK YOU to the College Station LDS 3rd Ward because those guys rocked. I've never asked a ward to help with a move and I was extremely worried about having enough people show up, but show up they did and had me completely unloaded in less than half an hour. The guy that showed up first was baffled when he couldn't see the truck.  When I pointed out the 1 relocube that needed to be unpacked he was astounded and commented on how most Mormon moves come with three strikes 1)Food storage, 2) a piano, and 3) I can't remember, but really wish I could... I think it had to do with kids or bunk beds or something.  Anyhow, many of the guys commented on how quick and easy my move was, but I really, really appreciate them taking the time and effort to come help out.  THANK YOU!

And with that I am officially an Aggie (but not one that believes in giggin' anything)!

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...