The Amorphophallus Titanum aka Titan Arum aka Corpse Flower is
native to the equatorial rain forests of Sumatra and blooms when it damn well
pleases. There is no regular cycle; a
plant can go for years and years without flowering, and then when it does – the
bloom only lasts one or two days. The
last bloom at the Huntington was in 2010.
The Stinky Plant grew from 39.5 inches to 66 inches in just 11 days. What makes it most famous, however is its
foul, rotting-meat-like odor.
The corm is the underground “bulb” part of the plan. (Not a botanist)
Once the corm stores up enough energy it may grow a leaf:
That is a single leaf. I know it looks like a tree, but it’s not. It’s a leaf. True story.
This is the vegetative state of the Titum Arum. The leaf dies back after a 12 – 18 months and then after another (at least) 6 months of rest a bud develops. The bud (which you can see on the corm) either sprouts a new leaf (mostly) or the plant will flower.
“Oh hai; I’m going to smell like death very soon.”
Life cycle on display:
Ready for its close-up:
The Huntington sent its first notification on August 14th
or 15th so I was able to go on Saturday to see it pre-bloom. I was also happy that – because I’m a member –
no matter what day it bloomed in the next week or so I would be able to see
it. Members had after-hours benefits so
even if it was during the week I’d be able to go see it after work. So excited!
I monitored The Huntington’s Instagram and Tumblr accounts,
as well as my email, and their blog for the next week watching the progress and
noting the updated predictions for bloom.
And then about 4:00 on Saturday, August 23rd they announced
it had started to open and they would be open late to accommodate member
viewing. I high-tailed it to Pasadena to
see it for myself.
There was a Huntington staffer there who was taking everyone’s
camera and taking pictures of the inside of the flower…pretty cool.
That is him standing right next to it – so you get an idea of the size.
I have to say the night I was there it wasn’t at peak
stinkiness – in fact it smelled a little like compost, dirt, and oddly enough –
green peppers. It was an overall mildly
unpleasant smell, but not the stench I was imagining. One of the docents said that he was sure when
they opened the Conservatory the next morning it would be enough to bowl you
over.
The next week JJK came out for a visit and we went back to
The Huntington. (pictures from that
visit later) I was telling Jodi about
the smell and when, at the end of our visit we walked to the Conservatory (to
take Jaids and Kolten) to the Children’s Garden Jodi remarked that she could
totally smell green peppers. We walked
into the Conservatory and ….
Look what was still in the forecourt:
The Huntington staff had cut a hole in the front to hand pollinated the plant. So we also got a peek at the actual tiny flowers inside.
I’ve been fascinated by this plant since the first time I
heard about it, and was overjoyed to be able to actually see it in bloom. I think it is pretty cool. And just for those of you who read the whole
post:
Amorphophallus titanum translates to: giant misshapen penis.























