Monday, September 08, 2014

Huntington at Its Most Engaging

My monthly pilgrimage to The Huntington was mostly centered around seeing the corpse flower, but I also wandered the gardens and witnessed a marriage proposal.


Stop in the rose garden.  There are still a gazillion roses blooming all of the time.
35-P1030362

36-P1030363

And I took the arbor path that skirts the Japanese Garden to the Subtropical Garden.
37-P1030364

These are the three trees in the Subtropical Garden that frame the wide open expanse of lawn by the Lilly Ponds.
49-P1030388

Path around the Lilly Ponds.  I wouldn't recommend walking this way; the plants have taken over the entire path.
53-P1030397

Looking through the bamboo around the Lilly Ponds into the Desert Garden.
54-P1030400

Big, creepy, baby statue
55-P1030402

Water Lillies
58-P1030409


The Billy Buttons are dying now.  I feel like I should put together a collage to show the whole life cycle of these flowers.
63-P1030418

65-P1030421

I took my traditional break in the gallery overlooking the Japanese Garden, and there was this guy just kind of loitering around the drum bridge - kinda in the bushes, and watching the foot bridge anxiously.  I was sitting next to a couple of benches full of guys from (judging by the accents) from a combination of the UK and New Zealand and they were running a full commentary on this guy hiding in the bushes.  The debate centered around whether or not he was there to propose to some, as yet unidentified, woman or if he were just proposing to every woman who walked across the footbridge.

I wish I had my camera out and documented the whole thing, but when he reached into his pocket I couldn't resist snapping some pictures.  
67-P1030428

68-P1030429

69-P1030430

My benchmates applauded, yelled their congratulations, and then a photographer jumped out of the bushes and started taking photos.  The girl under the umbrella was the "friend' who brought the newly-affianced to the gardens.  It seems like they planned a "girls" day, but really it was all part of the plan.
70-P1030431

It was really sweet, and an awesome place to propose.  Congratulations and best wishes to this random couple!
71-P1030432

Side note:  it was a bizillion degrees and this poor guy was all decked out for the proposal.  Sweating twice as much because he was so nervous, in addition to just being really too warm for comfort. 

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...