Saturday, June 16, 2018

Hawn's Mill

Spoiler alert:  I did not actually visit Hawn's Mill.  I got within 2 miles of it, but then had to turn down a unpaved road, and that was not ideal, but ok.  And then, there was a giant (what looked like a 90 degree) hill that I'd have to climb, and... just nope.  I turned that rental car around.

Currently, the Church owns the land, but it is simply a large open field and the website warns that during seasons of heavy rain, the site is often flooded and the roads impassable.  So yeah, I drove through BFE (with signage to prove it).  

IMG_20180429_151024_719

I did also see this license plate, which kind of made me feel like I was still in redneck Texas.
20180429_182341

Also unrelated to Hawn's Mill, but very important for the BFE portion of the day, I listened to the radio station non-stop and I would almost move to Independence just for it.
20180428_194641

It was like the late 80s/early 90s section of iPod.  I loved it.

And finally, I ate dinner at this BBQ place by my hotel, and I actually liked it better than Arthur Bryant's.  I got the burnt ends sandwich and I loved that they'd chopped it all up so it wasn't a choking hazard.  I asked them to mix a little bbq sauce into the sandwich, but also to give me a dish on the side.  That way I could dip each bite into the sauce, which meant I could eat it without the mess.  

20180429_170658

It came with cheesy corn, which, as it turned out...was in the same boat as weird bbq spaghetti in Memphis - not actually terrible, but also not good.
20180429_170704

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...