Monday, June 11, 2018

Independence Visitor's Center


The Independence Visitor's Center is built on a portion of the land that the Church purchased to establish the center place of Zion.
I finished lunch earlier (you can read about that over at 1000Places) than expected and decided to visit here sooner than expected.  I was able to watch a couple of videos about the translation of the BoM and then had my own personal sister missionary to show me around the exhibits. 
The Church has done some amazing things with the experience here.  There is a little outside of a cabin with benches (and some sad looking mannequins) where we chatted about what I knew about that period of history (and where I confirmed that I was a member, just not a very good one).  I like these individualized tours where we can just informally chat and I don't feel like I'm being proselytized. 
20180428_171117
Once the cabin cleared we went inside this awesome little interactive cabin.  I loved this exhibit.  First of all, the cabin is decorated in a way that totally reminded me of the cabin at Palmyra.  Second, they play a little audio clip, but the cabin windows are really screens that change to reflect the different seasons, times of day, etc.  So when they are talking about winter in Independence there are snow covered trees in the windows, while they talk about a era of city building - a barn appears in the window. 
The missionary told me that they were trying to focus on the positive aspects of the Saints time in Missouri and not only dwell on the horror that was coming.  I think it is powerful to think about how much good happened there, how many people were committed to the gospel, how they really felt this was their place and how much work and cooperation went on before things got terrible.
We also discussed about how this scenario still plays out today.  Of course, the natives were upset about a whole bunch of outsiders were moving into their community.  I see this sentiment over and over in Texas.  Don't move in and take away our status quo.  We don't want you voting together, or doing things that change our way of life, etc.  And for the early Saints in those established communities it was the same.  People are afraid of change, and when you have a lot of privilege or authority people are so afraid of losing any of that power.
After the cabin exhibit, you step out into a replica of the printing office where the first BoMs were printed.  We talked about how these things were real and how at that time the level of effort required to produce one book was so enormous that losing a printing press was devastating.  We also talked a little bit about one of my favorite quotes from Ender's Shadow which, paraphrased, it:
God takes all our actions and uses them for good.  So even the evil or unjust actions, are eventually turned and used for His purposes.  This can be incredibly uncomfortable in the meantime.
I like to re-frame Emma Smith's place in history with this in mind.  I was always taught that she turned against the Church and was to be reviled, but in actuality her staying in Nauvoo, allowed for the preservation of so many church sites and other artifacts.  We have many of these places today because Emma Smith chose to stay and her sons chose to run their own church.  Her decisions may not have been righteous, but that doesn't mean they weren't used for the Lord's purposes.
Also, I'd had fragment of a hymn stuck in my head for about a week, and could only remember one line. "And Jesus will say to all Israel, "Come home."" I figured it was stuck in my head because I constantly joke that I need to move to Independence so I don't have to walk very far in the coming apocalypse;  I'll already be at ground zero for the Saints.
Well, while we were listening to the printing press presentation the background music was this song .  THE PRINTING PRESS GUY WROTE THAT HYMN!  (W.W. Phelps, Now Let us Rejoice)
The last presentation was a quick clip of (honestly, I don't remember, but it made me all teary-eyed).  And my missionary and I started walking back upstairs.  She told me that this had been the first tour she'd done on her own, and I have to say.  A+

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...