Last night, I stopped over at my folk’s house to chat and hear the happenings of the day. While there, an old family friend (I hadn’t seen him in years) stopped by to chat. He is enormously talented in music, film and poetry. He spent most of his life producing the LDS Church’s films.
When we were little, he would show up now and then with a projector, his latest movie, and a variety of candy and treats for us little ones. We would spread a blanket on the living room floor, pop popcorn and watch movies, projected onto the wall. Then, he would pull out his latest songs and play the piano and sing with us. Those were some of the best times of my life. Clear, happy memories from my childhood...most of them involve “Peach Cherry”.
“Peach Cherry” (whose name we could not pronounce when we were small and so he was christened “Peach Cherry”) was born in either Poland or Germany (the borders have long been disputed) shortly before World War II. His family fled the Nazi invasion and fortunately made it to the U.S. Once grown, he risked everything again to smuggle Church and other literature behind the Iron Curtain. I always knew this, but never really appreciated the significance until last night.
Last night, 3 of the nubbins were at the house and someone made mention that all the cousins have someone their age to play with. “Peach Cherry” simply said, “That’s great. We sort of lost everyone, what with the death camps, the refugee camps and everything.” He said it so casually, but it really hit me hard. Something I always knew about him, but never thought about the reality of living through it.
An amazing man, truly one of the most amazing people I have ever been blessed to meet.
If your convictions cannot stand up to criticism then they are not worth defending. Gerald Lund
Wednesday, August 10, 2005
2024 Year in Review
January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...
-
January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...
-
Not gonna lie; 2022 was not a good year. Good things happened, maybe – but overall, it was hard. January – I got news that my team would b...
-
Well, 2020 sure started off with a bang, and the first 2.5 months were a continuation of my year of travel. I started out the year in Reno,...