The first day we arrived mid-afternoon and went straight to Arlington Cemetery. I love the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier as always have a special little moment of gratitude for all those who have served our country, and especially those who have given the last full measure of devotion to it.
Before seeing the changing of the guard, however, we trekked up to the Kennedy memorial and eternal flame. Even though I had visited Arlington before I had never stopped there.
I LOVE this photo so much! Photos like this is why I believe in taking candids.
We walked from the Washington Monument (well actually a little further beyond it) all the way back across the bridge to Arlington which means that on this day, we walked the distance from the Kennedy Memorial to the Washington Monument - in record breaking heat. It was worse than walking across the Brooklyn Bridge (which T3 and I had done a couple of weekends before.)
After Arlington we hopped on the metro and rode to the Washington Monument stop and then walked down past the Washington Monument, the WWII Memorial, the reflecting pool (which is all torn up, drained and under construction right now), to the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial. KiLee and Nate had a little car key mishap so KiLee had gone back to Arlington and then hightailed it across the bridge to meet up at the Lincoln Memorial. I didn't take any pictures during this time...I had photos from my previous trip, plus it was just so darn hot. I'm hoping to see some posted by LaNae, KiLee and Cort at some point.
In talking with KiLee we decided it would probably be fasted to nix the return trip on the metro and just walk back over the bridge to Arlington. We did, it was long and hot, but the pay-off was dinner at Oohs and Aahs. T3 discovered this soul food restaurant on a previous trip to DC, and it has become the standard. We have to stop there when in town. The portions are huge (easily shareable for 2) and they have the best fried chicken, mac and cheese and potato salad this side of the Mississippi River.