Thursday, October 21, 2004

No power

I was startled out of sleep this morning by my alarm (beep...beep...beep). This immediately made me groan because my alarm is programmed for the radio to come on. This annoying beep only makes an appearance when running on battery power. So, despite my grogginess I quickly ascertained my power was out. I did what any reasonable person would do; I hit snooze and made a promise to figure it out later.

The second time my alarm went off (beepbeep...beepbeep...beepbeep), I wondered if I had a working flashlight or if I'd be lighting a million candles to do my makeup, then I hit snooze again.

The alarm went off again (BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP...BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP...BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP) and I realized that in battery mode my alarm gets more and more aggressive about waking me up, so I caved in turned it off and went in search of a working flashlight grumbling the whole way, "I guess I'll get up, but it sure would be nice to have lights instead." I stumbled downstairs where I vaguely remembered leaving a flashlight on the window sill by my sliding glass door, shivering because my furnace is electric. I successfully located the flashlight, verified that it did, indeed, still work and went back upstairs to pull my hair into a bun and throw on makeup that hopefully would not look circus-worthy.

Just as I opened the bathroom door I heard the marvelous sounds. The sound of my CD player starting, the sound of the furnace kicking on, the sounds that I mean I didn't have to go to work looking like a circus freak.

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...