Saturday, December 02, 2006

2006 Book Update

The last time I posted about books was way back in September, so I've read a few since then.

Devil in the White City, Erik Larson
While the greatest temporary city in America was being created for the Chicago Worlds Fair a serial killer was building a hotel so his victims would never be more than a flight of stairs away. I loved the contrast between trying to make a name for Chicago as the greatest place on earth, while young women are simply disappearing from the face of the earth. How could it be that so many went missing, and nobody suspected a thing? I would definitely recommend.

The Futurist, James P Othmer
This was just an okay book. A man who is supposedly capable of predicting what and how the world will embrace loses confidence in himself, takes a questionable job with a group of shady characters who are trying to kill him and falls in love. I don't recommend this one at all.

The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
This is one of the best books I've ever read. I originally heard about it from Hilary's Mom and she was right...it is fantastic! Takes place in a small German town during WWII, narrated by Death, focusing on a Christian girl who is an occasional thief. You really have to read this.

The Devil Wears Prada, Lauren Weisberger
A boss from Hell, in the fashion industry? No way, right? I don't know if my dislike of this book stems from reading it right after such an amazing book, but maybe the movie is better. Not recommended.

The Two Minute Rule, Robert Crais
If you are going to rob a bank, you have 2 minutes inside before your chances of being caught skyrocket. Bank robbers spend way too much time inside and instead of capture they choose death being shot down in a fire-y blaze of glory, but when 4 police officers are gunned down several months later the ex-con-bank-robber-father of one of them is determined to find out who killed them, how it relates to the bank robberies, and if his son was a bad cop. I liked this book; nothing super-fabulous, but a nice quick read.

The Tenth Circle, Jodi Picoult
Do people ever really change? Or do they constantly change, never to be the same person again? Should there be another level of hell for those who practice self-deceit? Is rape still rape if you don't say anything, but clearly don't want it? I love Jody Picoult, the way she writes, the way she describes feelings. I really enjoyed this book...and it has a secret message embedded in certain pages. I really love a treasure hunt. Recommended.

Next up:
Sleeping With Fear, Kay Hooper

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...