Thursday, December 09, 2004

Adventures in Babysitting

A couple of weeks ago my lovely stay-at-home-mom sister asked if I would watch her kids while she and N went to some couples party in their neighborhood. Not being one to babysit for free I laid out my conditions: 1-a home cooked dinner (this is always a requirement since she is a good cook, and me, well I don't. cook. ever.) and 2-as long as it didn't snow.

See, L&N live way out in podunk-ville USA where the main (only) access is a dangerous 2 lane highway surrounded by empty fields. So, not only are snow plows scarce out that way, but the snow blows and drifts across the road leaving poor visibility. Add to that the antelope herd that migrates twice daily to feeding grounds and it is an adventure.

I was kidding about the snow; I used to work out in Podunk-ville and have driven the scary road in all kinds of condidtions. I also know that being a stay-at-home-mom-with-4-kids can be incredibly tiring. L needs a night out! Having said that, L called me at work yesterday saying, "Do you still want to come out tonight? I specifically remember you mentioned no snow as a condition. I could call a neighbor."

I told her that I was planning on it, but should a neighbor be available I wounldn't be offended. In fact, I would babysit the kids another night while they went to dinner and a movie. (That my friends, in more like a whole day out on the town since the nearest movie theatre is 45 minutes away.) She definitely jumped at that offer and so, I narrowly avoided a scary drive to Podunk-ville last night.

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...