Friday, September 23, 2005

Great Flood of 2005

Last night I pulled into my garage a little after 10:00, tired and wanting to watch the 1st episode of LOST while lying in bed drinking a lovely beverage. I trudged in the back door, a little annoyed because lights had been left on, sorted the mail onto the table and noted that my little eggling herbs from Signals (my favorite magazine in the whole, wide world) needed water. Walking over to the sink, I felt my feet shoot out from beneath me, luckily managing to catch myself from falling by grabbing the edge of the sink. It was wet; I slowly looked down. I was ankle-deep in suds oozing from beneath my dishwasher.

SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! MOTHERFUCKING, SHIT, GODDAMN IT!

I ran upstairs to grab towels; my roommate was playing a computer game. “Were you aware there is a flood in the kitchen?” I asked.

Towels in hand, I ran back downstairs and starting mopping; hoping against hope that suds were all I’d find. Alas, once cleared, water continued seeping from beneath the dishwasher. I found the phone and dialed my parent’s number. They have a wet/dry vacuum that, if necessary, I could use to suck up the water tonight and worry about calling a plumber tomorrow. Busy signal, busy signal, busy signal.

Then I tried my brother. He spent most of his life as a punk-ass kid, but marriage has definitely changed him. He is wonderful. Now 10:45 the phone rang and rang and rang. Shit! He’s already in bed. I hung up and went back to mopping.

My phone rings and I hear his groggy voice saying, “Did you need something?”

I am near tears because at this point I can see the water soaking into the wood cabinets and underneath the kitchen vinyl. It is the last straw; couldn’t this have waited until I sold the dump? Now I’ll have killer mold. I’m actually sitting on the floor trying to unscrew the kick guard thing to see how bad it is underneath.

“Do you want me to come over? I can stop at the ‘rents and get the Shopvac.”

Do you see why he is so wonderful?! He got up, stopped at my folks and then drove over to Cow Town, USA in the middle of the night to fix my dishwasher! He even brought over a big fan to help dry everything out. He pulled the whole thing apart in the MIDDLE of the night so that I would be able to sleep without worrying.

Turns out, it was nothing major, Thank God! My roommate had decided to wash out an empty dish soap bottle in the dishwasher. The additional (and it being the wrong kind) of soap was more than it could handle.

He is coming back over tonight to reinstall everything (now that it’s all dry) and make sure it won’t leak again. That my friends is one AWESOME brother!

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...