Saturday, December 24, 2005

The War on Christmas

Rarely do I comment on anything political here. I am not deeply involved nor qualified enough to comment on what is going on in Washington, but there are a great many things that make my head nearly explode; anyone who knows me can vouch for my passion and frustration with certain points of view. This one though, well, this one I have to talk about.

If you ever listen to any of the right wing radio talk shows all they talk about is the war on Christmas. How so many stores won't wish their customers Merry Christmas, how city trees have been renamed "Holiday Trees", etc. In fact, I have repeatedly listened to a co-worker complain and complain about how to be "politically correct" he has to use Happy Holidays. "Well screw that!" he says, "I'll say Merry Christmas to whomever I want!"

How do basically good people fail to understand that Happy Holidays isn't about being politically correct; it isn't about the undermining of Christmas; it isn't about non-Christians taking over the world. It is about understanding that there are those who do not share my religion and including them in my wishes for a wonderful season. After all, wasn't Christ all about inclusion, not exclusion; wasn't He about loving your neighbor and respecting them, and that by forcing your Merry Christmas on someone you are behaving in a decidedly un-Christian way? If you really believe Christ is the reason for the season then why aren't you thankful that stores aren't using the birthday of your Lord and Savior to sell crap?

I grew up in a very Christian area (not only Christian, but nearly 100% Mormon). I had met a couple of Catholics, a handful of Protestants, but never anyone *gasp* Jewish. In fact, I was 29 years old before I met someone Jewish. And now I wonder how many times I may have offended or added to a burden because I unthinkingly excluded someone. I read Hilary's post and wonder what that must feel like be force-fed Christmas music, Christmas trees, Christmas gifts, and Merry Christmas-ed every where you go.

So, while I don't claim to be a very good Christian, I will take the time to say:

Happy Hanukkah
Happy Kawanza
Season's Greetings
Happy Holidays
Merry Christmas

May there be peace in our hearts and throughout the world, regardless of what holiday you celebrate or what religion you practice.

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...