The other night on "The Amazing Race" Colin nearly got himself arrested. While Christie was trying to calm him down she made an interesting comment. It basically said he should stop making [the persecution he felt] up in his head. The whole situation was blown out of proportion because he made it up in his head.
We all do that from time to time, don't we? We get bits and pieces of information, make assumptions based on that incomplete information and form a conclusion that generally doesn't resemble the truth. We infer things from what is said, what is written, that actually aren't there and pretty soon our perception of the situation is out of control. Sometimes those assumptions and reactions are based on anger, sometimes on fear, sometimes they play into our ego or our biases, but rarely are they based on rational thought. So, I would encourage all out there who have jumped to conclusions, made assumptions about something in your life to go back to the actual facts (the things you absolutely know are true) without inference, without assumption, and figure out how much of the situation you made up in your head.
You may find out you wasted a lot of time, energy, perhaps money or your reputation on something that was largely the product of your imagination.
If your convictions cannot stand up to criticism then they are not worth defending. Gerald Lund
2024 Year in Review
January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...
-
January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...
-
Not gonna lie; 2022 was not a good year. Good things happened, maybe – but overall, it was hard. January – I got news that my team would b...
-
2023: January: College Station, TX Not very much happening, just resting after a long year. February: San Diego, CA Crossed two place of ...