I am sitting here, waiting for traffic to clear out before I head home and my phone rang. Not a number I recognize. I am surprised when the voice turns out to be Ana. I work with her, have great respect for her. She managed to become successful, pulled herself up from poverty to become an example to me, to many in her community. Bi-lingual, Catholic, Mexican. In Utah, she represents the minority. She is strong, opinionated, understanding.
Her Grandmother, 97 years old, died this morning. She was a tiny little woman. Probably only weighted 90 lbs. She was healthy, until a week ago. They just discharged her from the hospital. Recovering, slowly, but recovering they said. "It was peaceful," Ana tells me. She is calm. I am crying.
They are grateful. They took Grandma home to Mexico last summer. She got to visit her birthplace. A small mining town, high in the mountain, deep in a valley. Twisting, turning roads, nearly died driving down. They took her on a cruise last month. She got to see the Caribbean. Grandma joked last week that she prayed she would be healthy for the cruise. After that she didn't care. Maybe she should have been more vague, Grandma joked.
Ana promised she'd be buried in Mexico. Ana always keeps her promises. I think she got that from her Grandma.
If your convictions cannot stand up to criticism then they are not worth defending. Gerald Lund
Thursday, March 17, 2005
2024 Year in Review
January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...
-
January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...
-
Not gonna lie; 2022 was not a good year. Good things happened, maybe – but overall, it was hard. January – I got news that my team would b...
-
Well, 2020 sure started off with a bang, and the first 2.5 months were a continuation of my year of travel. I started out the year in Reno,...