Thursday, March 31, 2005

Living Will

I’ve refrained from weighing in on the Terri Schiavo case, mostly because I think it’s just sad. And tragic. I cannot imagine such bitterness and hatred between the parties--that they would fail to reach (what I think) a reasonable compromise.

Michael Schiavo has moved on with his life. He has a new “wife” and two young children. Terri’s parents and siblings are ready and willing to bear the burden of caring for her. Wouldn’t reasonableness dictate that her care be turned over to her family?

I don’t know the answers. I believe Terri was in a persistent vegetative state. I don’t believe she was capable of a meaningful recovery, but does that mean she should die? Again, I don’t know.

What I do know is that based on reports, Michael Schiavo denied Terri’s family the right to be there when she died. He denied her their loving comfort (whether she knew it or not) in her last moments. At the end does it matter who was right; who was wrong? I don’t think so. I think in those final days and hours she should have anyone and everyone who loved her at her side.

Such bitterness, such hatred among the families. It will continue, I’m afraid. The autopsy findings will be endlessly argued. Her burial or cremation, the place she is laid to rest will be filled with anger and resentment. However, Terri is at peace. For her, the struggle is over, and I think she would want peace among those who cared for her in life.

Please, discuss your wishes with your family. Let them know what you would want. Have an advance directive.

2024 Year in Review

January - College Station, TX I spent the winter in College Station in a familiar Airbnb. I also got myself a shift hoodie for the car. I sm...